Incident Response Plan
Changes and Highlights
This is a living document subject to ongoing improvement. Feedback or suggestions for improvement from registered Select Agent entities or the public are welcomed. Submit comments directly to the Federal Select Agent Program at:
- October 12, 2012: Initial posting
- June 19, 2013 (Revision 1): The revisions are primarily changes to correct editorial errors from previous version.
- February 10, 2014: Added “Low probability/High consequence Events” to Appendix IV.
- September 4, 2014: Added information about continuing laboratory operations after incident.
- May 2017: The revisions are primarily changes to the organization to improve usability from previous version.
- February 2018: Added the immediate responsibilities.
- August 2021: Clarified regulatory requirement language.
Under the provisions of select agent regulations (7 CFR §331.14external icon, 9 CFR §121.14external icon, and 42 CFR §73.14external icon), an entity registered with the Federal Select Agent Program is required to have an incident response plan in place in the event of a natural and/or man-made disaster. The purpose of this guide is to assist the regulated community in developing a site-specific incident response plan to ensure the security and safeguarding of select agents and toxins from natural and man-made disasters.
Please feel free to use the new editable Incident Response Plan Template (link to template) as the foundation for your entity’s incident response plan.